Arts and Culture Centre
Proposed Building / Space Program
The space/ building program has been developed in response to the needs assessment with the perspective and comments received through the venue visits, interviews and survey data. By taking a broader community-centred approach for this building program, the proposed facilities will respond to a much wider range of artistic interests in the community than had previously been considered. This includes a variety of art forms (theatre, music, dance, visual arts, film, spoken word, writing, video/digital), serving both creating and presenting/performing. This is a substantive change from the previous proposal which was almost entirely focused on the presentation of the performing arts.
The building program is based on inclusive and accessible design principles, consistent with the Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Foundation certification. The centre will provide programming and performances to encourage and support users, from recreational to professional and the full range of community members, of all ages and skill levels, whether interested in the creation process or the participating as audience members or taking in exhibitions. Some uses for the spaces are focused on community arts-oriented groups, lessons, workshops, exhibitions, storage, and writers’ hub and arts group administration. The program also anticipates the building meeting a high level of sustainable design as defined by the Canada Green Building Council.
As no site has been determined for this centre, outdoor performance and arts-related spaces have not been included. Similarly, parking is excluded as this is also site dependent.
- a theatre of about 350 seats (smaller than was previously recommended) with lobby
- a variety of smaller rooms that can be used for recording, teaching, classes, workshops, meetings
- a space with a sprung floor (suitable for dance)
- classroom spaces
- space for exhibiting
- a dedicated art room and pottery studio
- a small space for recording/podcasting
- space for gathering
- storage – by user groups, those who may teach/instruct etc., and regular users
- a café or similar
- accessible and inclusive spaces and programs – physically accessible for all; inclusive of all with any interest level and ability in the arts; every age and cultural background; welcoming